We subscribe to and follow the Professional Code of Defensive Shooting Instructors.
1. I am committed to the safety of my students, and hold that the expected benefit of any training activity must significantly outweigh any known or perceived risk of that activity.
2. I believe that it is my responsibility to understand not just what I’m teaching, but WHY I’m teaching any technique or concept, or offering specific advice.
3. I recognize that defensive shooting skills, along with the drills and gear used, are inherently specialized and usually distinct from those of target shooting, competition and hunting endeavors.
4. I will encourage my students to ask questions about course material, and I will answer them with thorough and objective explanations.
5. I understand that Integrity and Professionalism are subjective traits and I strive to maintain high levels of both. I am capable of, and willing to, articulate the reasons for the way I conduct my courses and how I interact with students & peers.
6. I believe that it is valuable to engage my peers in constructive conversation about differences in technique and concept, with the goal of mutual education and evolution.
7. I believe that the best instructor is an avid student, and I will strive to continually upgrade my own skills and knowledge. As part of this belief, I understand that my own teachings need to be subject to critique and open to evolution.
Evan Carson is the President of Innovative Defensive Solutions, llc (IDS) a full-service personal defense, safety and security training company. At IDS we specialize in providing our clients with Concealed Carry Courses, Defensive Firearm Training, and Instructor Development. We also provide OC spray, knife, carbine, combative’s and armed professional training opportunities.
Evan has been a defensive firearm practitioner, gun enthusiast, student and teacher for more than 12 years. He worked at the NRA HQ for 9 years as an instructor and range safety officer where he applied his teaching and communication skills to tens of thousands of people at one of the nation’s top ranges. During this time he competed in USPSA/IDPA/GSSF and continued on his path as a professional student all while continuing to grow IDS. In 2013, he moved on from the NRA Range to focus on IDS and his personal journey in defensive firearm instruction.
Evan and IDS have been featured in Combat Handgun Magazine, The Complete Book of Auto Pistols, Modern DC Business Magazine as well as the TV show Breakthroughs with Martin Sheen. Evan has also been a part of the hit TV shot Top Shot and Triggers. Evan is a training consultant and has worked as an expert witness on a few firearm related cases. Evan has also worked as an adjunct instructor for I.C.E. Training.
IDS prides itself on customer feedback, please visit our Google + and Yelp review pages where you can view our 340+ 5 star reviews.
Evan is a Life Member of the NRA and is also a BSA Eagle Scout and carries One Eagle Palm.
Please visit the Innovative Defensive Solutions Course Tab, or Calendar Tab by clicking the header titles at the top of the page to learn more about our training opportunities.
Since 2006 Evan has taught over 5,000 students in over 300 courses. He prides himself in the fact that he is a student first and unlike many instructors out there continues to train and evolve as a student and personal defense practitioner. Evan has logged over 750 hours in formal training both in end user courses and in instructor development course work. This helps Evan evolve as an instructor and stay at the forefront of his industry so that he can bring the best pssible information to you as a student or client of IDS.
Evan currently holds certifications in the following disciplines in addition to being an Certified and Active Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor:
- Active Combat Focus® Shooting Instructor
- Certified Defensive Firearm Coach (…to teach Intro to Home Defense Handgun Course)
- Certified Fundamentals of Concealed Carry Instructor through I.C.E. Training
- Founding Member of ADSI, Association of Defensive Shooting Instructor
- PDN, Personal Defense Network Contributor
- Certified FitShot Coach
- Top Shot Season 3 Finalist
- DCJS Private Investigator #99-257395
- Utah BCI Concealed Firearm Instructor #I102953
- VA Notary Public
- Sabre Red CSAP OC (Pepper Spray) Instructor
- National Range Officer Institute Level One RSO
- American Professional Firearms Instructors Association / VA State Coordinator
- Glock Armorer
- Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout and Eagle Palm Recipient
- NRA Life Member / Recruiter
- Affiliated Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Instructor
- Associate Member of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearm Instructors (IALEFI)
- National Crime Prevention Council Member
- United States Practical Shooting Association Member
- International Defensive Pistol Association Member
- Glock Shooting Sports Foundation (GSSF) Member
- Past Certifications/Credentials
- NRA Appointed Training Counselor (Instructor Trainer)
- NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor
- NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home Instructor
- NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
- NRA Refuse to be a Victim Instructor & Regional Training Counselor
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
Ben’s first experience with shooting came when he joined the United States Marine Corps and from his very first shot, became hooked while earning multiple Marksmanship Expert Awards with both the Rifle and Pistol. It was during this time he also developed a knack for firearms instruction where helped hundreds of Marines improve their shooting abilities. During his time as a Marine Infantryman, he was able to expand his knowledge to other firearm and weapons platforms and was often part of the teams selected to demonstrate a system’s operational effectiveness.
After leaving active duty Ben continued his personal training and teaching by helping family and friends learn to shoot and introducing them to firearms. During this time a couple of major incidents happened which shifted his focus from target/sport shooting to becoming a Defensive Shooting Instructor. This shift has lead Ben to strive to make himself and others better prepared to defend themselves and take personal accountability for their safety.
Ben has over 20 years of firearms experience and is enthusiastic about sharing that knowledge with others. His credentials include:
- Defensive Firearms Coach through I.C.E. Training (www.icetraining.us)
- Fundamentals of Concealed Carry Instructor through I.C.E. Training
- NRA Basic Instructor for Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
- NRA Personal Protection in the Home
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
- Affiliate Instructor for USCCA
- NRA Life Member
- A.L.I.C.E. Certified Instructor (ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) training prepares individuals to handle the threat of an Active Shooter. ALICE teaches individuals to participate in their own survival while leading others to safety. Though no one can guarantee success in this type of situation, this new set of skills will greatly increase the odds of survival should anyone face this form of disaster.)
Click to See Our List of Guest Instructors