We subscribe to and follow the Professional Code of Defensive Shooting Instructors.
1. I am committed to the safety of my students, and hold that the expected benefit of any training activity must significantly outweigh any known or perceived risk of that activity.
2. I believe that it is my responsibility to understand not just what I’m teaching, but WHY I’m teaching any technique or concept, or offering specific advice.
3. I recognize that defensive shooting skills, along with the drills and gear used, are inherently specialized and usually distinct from those of target shooting, competition and hunting endeavors.
4. I will encourage my students to ask questions about course material, and I will answer them with thorough and objective explanations.
5. I understand that Integrity and Professionalism are subjective traits and I strive to maintain high levels of both. I am capable of, and willing to, articulate the reasons for the way I conduct my courses and how I interact with students & peers.
6. I believe that it is valuable to engage my peers in constructive conversation about differences in technique and concept, with the goal of mutual education and evolution.
7. I believe that the best instructor is an avid student, and I will strive to continually upgrade my own skills and knowledge. As part of this belief, I understand that my own teachings need to be subject to critique and open to evolution.
Innovative Defensive Solutions (IDS), LLC, is a Manassas, Virginia, based organization offering firearm and personal awareness training. Though a majority of our courses are in the Northern VA area. We hold classes in VA, MD, DE, WV, PA, and TX. We travel to host ranges all around the country per request. Our mission is to further the development and education of all prospective students with particular emphasis in the following areas:
Self – Defense with a Firearm / Concealed Carry of a Firearm
Counter Ambush Scenarios
Non-Lethal Methods of Self – Defense
Advanced Firearm Training
IDS was created in response to the continuing need in the Northern Virginia area for quality and excellence in personal preparation intended for unforeseen criminal confrontations. Several courses that are offered place particular emphasis on avoidance of these types of situations.
Even though there are numerous avenues for the local general public to pursue competing firearm / crime prevention educational alternatives, IDS has enjoyed rapid and consistent growth. Classes are limited in size to guarantee individual competency and proficiency. Our clientele continues to grow simply by the recommendations of former students.
IDS ensures that all existing / future staff members are experienced marksmen / instructors and insists that they maintain current certification with either the National Rifle Association (NRA), National Rifle Association Law Enforcement Division (LED) or the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice (DCJS). The staff has participated in competitive shooting matches conducted by the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) / International Practical Shooting Competition (IPSC) and they have attended numerous continuing education courses to maintain and further their skills. The staff has a combined total of over 25 years of instructor / firearm experience.
We look forward to meeting you at one of our classes and thank you for choosing IDS as your number one provider for the vital skills necessary to confront today’s challenging environment.
Affiliations, Memberships, and Insurance
- Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Affiliated Training Company/Instructor
- USACarry.com Affiliated Training Company/Instructor
- VCDL Affiliated Training Company/Instructor
- NRA Affiliated Club/Business
- Security Equipment Corporation/SABRE RED Affiliate
- NRA Business Alliance Member
- Associate Member of IALEFI, International Association of Law Enforcement Firearm Instructors
- NRA Endorsed Insurance through Lockton Affinity, General and Professional Liability Coverage